History of Rotary Club of Cebu
Stanton Turner, a Rotarian from RC Manila, initiated the formation of a provisional club in Cebu with 26 members, half of whom were foreigners, predominantly Americans. The Rotary Club of Cebu was chartered on November 28, 1932 and on February 16, 1933 the club charter was personally presented by Ted Hall of RC Manila. Ted Hall would later become the District Governor.
All the charter officers were foreigners with Capt. C.J. Martin, an American who had settled in Cebu, as the president. Only two Filipinos were in the Board -- Manuel Gotianuy and Valeriano Segura. Club meetings were held at the U.S. Country Club which was formed by Capt. Martin himself in 1928. The club would later be renamed Cebu Country Club. In 1935 the venue of club meetings was transferred to Club Filipino soon after the latter's formation. Later, the club would later move to Magellan Hotel, back to Club Filipino, Casino Espanol, Magellan Hotel, Cebu Plaza Hotel then to the present venue at the Marriott Hotel.
Since the day of its meeting on December 8, 1941 when Pearl Harbor was attacked, the club would not reconvene until September 1945 after the conclusion of the World War. In attendance in the first post-war meeeting held in a nipa hut at the grounds of Club filipino were 24 members with Alfredo Deen as President and Tingting Faelnar as Secretary. The club lost Valin Segura and Fitz Reed, casualties of the war. On December 26, 1972 the club was given a replacement of the certificate of charter which was destroyed during the war.
In 1961, RC Cebu sponsored the organization of RC Cebu West. From there on rotary clubs proliferated in Cebu. It is for this reason that RC Cebu is known as the "Mother Club" in Cebu.
RC Cebu is the second oldest Rotary Club in the Philippines after RC Manila and was the only civic club in Cebu until 1949 when the Cebu Lions Club was organized. At its peak the club had 120 members in the early 1970's. It has produced a number of District Governors, namely:
Vicente "Tingting" Faelnar, 1951 - 1952
Joaquin "Jack Panis", 1963 - 1964
Vicente "Tico" Lozada, 1966 - 1967
Federico "Rex" Reyes, 1970 - 1971
Manuel "Manny" de Veyra, 1978 - 1979
In 1979 the RC Cebu Foundation was established as a club subsidiary to ensure funding and continuity of Club projects. Unfortunately, the funds which were placed with Filfinance were wiped out when the latter became bankrupt in 1976. Decades later, the Foundation would recover only 15% of the original amount of placement. The Foundation was reactivated during the administration of PP John Domingo in 1995.
RC Cebu has a number of sister clubs, here and abroad: RC Makati, RC Singapore East and RC Mambajao. There have been several cross visits among members with these sister clubs.
The Club celebrated its 25th Silver anniversary in 1957 during the administration of PDG Rex Reyes with black-tie dinner and flowing champagne. The program featured a Rigodon de Honor participated in by the members. The 50th Golden Aniversary echoed this celebration in 1982 during the presidency of PP Michel Lhuillier, albeit in a somewhat subdued manner in keeping with the economic crises gripping the country then. The 60th Anniversary celebration during the term of PP Glen Loop was equally impressive featuring once more the Rigodon de Honor and a live orchestra.
- is to encourage and foster the ideal of sevice as a basis of worthy enterprise and, in particular, to encourage and foster:
FIRST The development of aquaintance as an opportunity for service;
SECOND High ethical standards in business and professions; the recognitionof the worthiness of all useful occupations; and the dignifying by each Rotarian's occupation as an opportunity to serve society;
THIRD The application of ideal of service in each Rotarian's personal, business and community life;
FOURTH The advancement of international understanding, goodwill, and peace through a world fellowship of business and professional persons united in the ideal of service.